Andrew’s Backpack

In the book “Finding Someplace” by Denise Lewis Patrick, Hurricane Katrina wiped out almost everything in New Orleans in 2005. This book was about a girl named Reesie needing to survive this hurricane inside an attic. In this scenario, I would have to bring many things in a backpack to survive and be comfortable.

If I had to pack things before Hurricane Katrina, I would pack a flare gun. A flare gun would be important because it’s supposed to show my location so people in lifeboats could find you. In the book, a lifeboat saved Reesie and brought them to the Super Dome where they evacuated citizens. In Hurricane Katrina, there are so many people in boats trying to save people who were stuck inside their roofs.

I would also try to grab as much food and water as possible. Canned foods would be very important since it can last longer and the can would protect it from water. Of course, I would bring a can opener to open it too. I could bring foods such as beans. To survive, I would also want water like plastic bottles. A water filter straw helps for only having clean water.

A life jacket or pool noodle would be good in a hurricane. It would help since there’s a risk I might drown in the flood so it’s important to stay above the surface. First aid kits would be useful just in case I get a scratch or scrape.

Books would be nice in this hurricane because it would keep me entertained while I don’t have electricity or wifi. There are so many books in my house that I could bring so I could spend most of my time reading to wait out the hurricane. 

Lastly, I would bring a flashlight. A flashlight would be important because I might not be able to see if I’m hiding from the hurricane. For example, Reesie hid inside of her roof, but she probably wouldn’t have been able to see inside of there.

3 thoughts on “Andrew’s Backpack